Saturday, January 9, 2010

And you think the hard part is over...

Perspective is an interesting thing. Without it, you don't know anything is wrong and could go through life without knowing its potential powerful impact on your life. However, once you have it, you put a somewhat of a death grip on it. Never wanting to let it go.

The other interesting this is where it can come from. Perspective is a train-wreck. You never see it coming and it knocks you down and can be somewhat disorientating for a long time.

Today, I was an adult leader at a student leadership academy. It's designed to provide leadership training for people between the ages of 14-20. I am clearly not in any of those ages. However, perspective as come and hit me...and now I feel kinda like a train-wreck.

I supervised a decision making class this morning. The speaker went through a very detailed account on how to make proper decisions through a technique called decision mapping. Using a very logical reasoning and extended thought process the speaker went through a situation he used decision mapping and how he came to what appeared to be the most logical conclusion.

This kinda rocked my world.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't call myself irresponsible or someone who has been known to make rash decisions. But I am someone who has always "gone with their gut." I have also prided myself in making decisions using intuition and feeling. I also would like to think that I have made good progress through life so far. No monumental failures or lapses in sound judgement. Minor ones here and there, but no life altering mistakes.

However, it got me thinking. Has there been potential for better decisions. Have some of my decisions in life been made in haste? Especially when bible passages were thrown at me about how messed up my mind and heart were.

Then again, you could make a claim that everybody is created differently and I have been hard wired to trust my gut and emotions the "NF" in my Myers-Briggs. I will continue to ponder this for a little bit. However, as I think about this I have to wonder if I could continue making major decisions. As I keep sorting this out in my head I am a little off, but I will keep going none the less.

Well, Grantwriting Homework? Okay, I guess I have to change the name of my blog from Confessions of a College Graduate to Confessions of a Graduate Level Student. This decision is still being decided.

More later.

No comments: