Monday, September 28, 2009

Life of an Non Profit Employee

Wheaton, IL is a place I swore I would never end up. I interned there while in college and was surrounded my people in college who grew up there and hoped to end up there. I was not one of those people.

I always had hopes for a "better or cooler" work location. A big city, or working for a company with big name recognition. Alas, God had other plans.

I currently sit at the reception desk of a Non Profit in Wheaton. I love the non profit world, it is decidely different then your typical corporation but yet balances with traditional ideas. For example I currently have a buttoned up shirt with khakis on, however I am not required to tuck it in and I have paired them with a great pair of teva sandles.

The reception desk has been a second home to me as of late. I fill in when the receptionist is out and enjoy meeting people at the desk. However, I find it odd that twice now someone has commented on the fact that a male is working at a receptionist desk. I know some NPO's are traditional but I'm not gonna lie I got kinda offended.

The other thing about working at a faith based NPO in Wheaton, IL is the emphasis on relationships, no I am not talking about the meaningful relationships one could enjoy platonically. I am referring to the fact that I am the only male in an office about 60 people under the age of 30 and single.

Yes, I am token.

Now, don't get me wrong I am not suggesting that this indictive to all NPO's but the fact of the matter is I can only respond to the culture I am placed in. Several times the question "when are you gonna get married?" has come up and many times I threw up in my mouth.

Again, dont get me wrong I am not against marriage, I actually look forward to it greatly, I am however against the idea of trying to get me paired off for the sake of getting me paired off.

I will go out on a limb and say it takes a special person to work at an NPO. Your salary is dependent on the generosity of others and a group of 8-10 strangers you don't know. You work for a cause and not for the "all mighty" dollar. The list could go on and on.

So what. Why I have I spent the past 9 paragraphs rambling about? Good question. I don't really know. I just felt the need to ramble and had some time to kill.

That is all.

No comments: